Wednesday, June 29, 2016

The Second Life of Nick Mason, by Steve Hamilton

This crime drama by Steve Hamilton received a lot of very good reviews, so I got it out of my local library and started reading it. I needed a break from the more serious reading of Kevin Gutzman's, James Madison and the Making of America. I'm half way through Nick Mason's second life. I have the distinct impression I've read this before. Not this particular book, but other stories like it. The anti-hero, hero. Troubled past, troubled guy, in over his head. Trying to be a better person. Fates conspire. You know what I mean.

I'll let you know what I think when I'm finished.

______________________________________


I'm finished. Thank goodness. My take?

Laughably implausible plot.

Clichéd characters up and down the cast ladder, but especially the main character, "Nick." I can't tell you too much without revealing the plot line and outcome, but let me say this, "Jack Reacher" does it better, without all the whining, and with a more satisfying, if similar outcome.

I've read and enjoyed Steve Hamilton before -- A Cold Day in Paradise, The Lock Artist (which I particularly liked) -- his writing is straight forward, crisp, and he has an outstanding ability to put the reader in the action's locale.

I'll try another book by Hamilton. I know he can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation request has been emailed to the blog author.