Thursday, November 3, 2016

Regret

Photograph by Andy Porter: Sunset at Copper Ridge
I reached the crest of Goat Ridge just as twilight was seeping through the forested slopes and valleys of the Goat Rocks Wilderness. I let the pack slip from my back to the ground and stood watching the sky going gold.

Gray-black cloud hanging there refusing to take on the pink hue that more distant clouds accepted gracefully. Darkness was now inking the sky.

I need to start a fire. Heat the dinner that I bought with my REI dividend.

If she were here we'd be eating by now, despite my vote for watching the sunset. "They'll be plenty of time for that."

But there wasn't. In the end, there wasn't time for exploring the world, traveling to exotic places, or even Epcot, or starting a family.

There was no time for other sunsets.

I forget about dinner and sit on a rock outcropping watching darkness descend. Taking time for regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation request has been emailed to the blog author.