Thursday, February 16, 2012

ABDUCTED!

Chapter 5: Communicating with Extraterrestrials

Montell Everest was chief something-or-other at ADP -- a very short, solidly-built man who exuded energy, "call me Monte," grabbed me by the elbow and half led me, half pushed me into his office, where he motioned to an old wooden office chair and then went behind his desk and sat down and just stared at me.
I started to get uncomfortable. I squirmed a bit. Looked at the blank wall over his head.
“You are one hell of a smart guy,” he finally said.
I raised my eyebrows and said, “Huh.”
“Listen, I am a mathematician,” he said. “I can do proofs, solve riddles, write equations out the ying yang, but I never did anything like you can do.” He jabbed his index finger at me. “You are...” He searched for words. “Unusual.”
“Well, thanks, uh, Monte," I said.
“That’s why we brought you here.”
“Well, I hope I can help with the JSF program,” I said.
Everest rolled his eyes. “Shit, that’s child’s play. We’ve got regular guys can do that. You’re gonna be doing something much more interesting. Much more...” Everest paused, and then made a whirring sound while he spun his index finger in the air.
That was how I learned that what I’d really be doing at Area-51 was developing a language that could be used to communicate with extraterrestrials.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation request has been emailed to the blog author.